Thanks to the natural low moisture content, Himalayan Salt Slabs can be heated or chilled to extreme temperatures. They work equally well on grills, stove tops, in the oven or as a serving platter for cold food presentations. The possibilities of cooking with Himalayan Salt Slabs are endless.
Cooking at the proper temperature is the most important guideline to follow when working with a salt slab. It is imperative to take the time to properly and adequately preheat the salt slab. Failure to do so may result in salty food and could effect the integrity of the salt slab. The thermal qualities of the salt slab make for an ideal cooking surface to sear, bake and roast a wide variety of foods.
The salt slab is susceptible to thermal shock (breaking due to dramatic changes in temperature). Therefore always follow these siple guidelines when heating and cooking on your salt slab.
- Handle the heated plate carefully. It is extremely HOT
- When cooking on an electric stove top you will something that is heat safe to elevate the salt slab so that it sits just above the burner. A good recommendation is a cake or pastry ring.
- To heat your salt slab begin on low for 15 minutes, set to medium for 15 minutes and then turn your burner on high for and additional 15 minutes . Your salt slab is now ready for cooking.
- To use the salt slab in the oven begin preheating t 250 degrees for 15 minutes, increase the temperature to 325 degrees for 15 minutes and again raise the temperature to 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Use of a salt slab under a broiler is NOT recommended.
- When cooking on an outdoor gas grill place the salt slab parallel over a burner bar on the grill grate. Preheat the salt slab as you would for indoor cooking. Feel free to close the grill hood after you’ve ensured the burner has been lit for the first phase of preheating. When using a charcoal grill be sure to set the grill up with 3 separate heat zones. On the far left there should be open space with NO charcoal. In the middle a single layer of lit charcoal and on the far right a double layer of charcoal. Once the charcoal is lit start preheating with the salt slab on the left for 15 minutes, move it to the middle for 15 minutes and finish on the far right for another 15 minutes.
- Watch our blog in the coming weeks for several tasty recipes for use with your salt slab.