Cacao is a plant medicine here to assist us in reconnecting to our heart center.
In addition, it has an abundance of health benefits:
- Rich in macro and micronutrients, including fats, minerals and vitamins.
- Cacao has several compounds that are known to have an antibacterial, anti-enzymatic and immune stimulating effect.
- It is loaded with theobromine, which is useful in treating respiratory problems, asthma, coughs, and enhances lung functions. It also lowers blood pressure, supports cognition and improves sleep quality.
- Cacao is one of the richest sources of polyphenols which have antioxidants and are linked to reduced inflammation, improved cholesterol, and blood sugar levels. In addition, flavanols can cross the blood brain barrier improving blood flow to your brain – and can increase mental capacities.
- Improved nitric oxide levels in the blood- linked to blood flow and reduce blood pressure.
- Cacao has PEA, phenethylamine which releases pleasure compounds known as endorphins and dopamine.
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid found in cacao and is essential in creating the neurotransmitter serotonin.Another glorious compound found in cacao is anandamide. The name is derived from Sanskrit word ananda, which means joy, bliss and delight. It is a fatty acid that binds to the endocannabinoid receptors in your brain creating an anti-depressant like effect. Scientists believe that enhanced levels of happiness are a direct result of having more anandamide in their system
Overall, cacao expands consciousness, opens the heart, inspires creativity, enhances focus, increases energy, fosters connection and is a mood enhancer.
**Make sure to look for high quality cacao that is not overly processed to receive all of these health benefits**
**Also please look for cacao that is sustainably and ethically sourced**