These chocolate chip cookies, with browned butter and pecans, are sure to keep you warm and cozy during this winter season.
This recipe for chocolate chip cookies is delicate, rich in flavor, and packs a mean punch with browned vegan butter. Each chocolate chip cookie is baked with toasted pecans, dark chocolate, and topped off with a dash of Himalayan salt. These cookies are a crowd pleaser for everyone, with a crispy outside and a chewy middle. It will be hard to keep them on the table for longer than a day, so allow yourself to indulge and give into a super sweet and savory temptation.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 cup unsalted vegan butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 large eggs // OR: 2 tbsp ground flax seed & 6 tbsp water (mixed together, set aside, & let thicken for 5 minutes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate + more for topping
- 1 cup pecans, chopped + more for topping
- Flaky salt
- Brown the butter: Add the 1 cup of butter to a saucepan over medium heat and melt. Continue to stir until it turns a rich amber color and gives off a nutty scent.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl (making sure to scrape in the browned bits at the bottom of the pot) and set aside to cool.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Once the brown butter is no longer hot, add the brown sugar, sugar, and molasses to the bowl. Whisk to combine. It should resemble the texture of a slushie.
- Whisk in the eggs (or flax egg mixture) and vanilla until fully combined.
- Pour in all of the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate. Switch to a rubber spatula to fold in the ingredients once the dough starts to thicken.
- Fold in the dark chocolate and pecans. At this point, the dough should be sticky and able to hold its shape when scooped. If it’s too thin, place it in the refrigerator uncovered for about 30 minutes to cool.
- When its at the right consistency, scoop out the cookie dough using a large 2oz scoop or 1/4 measuring cup. Place the scoops side by side on a plate or small baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place extra chocolate chips and pecans on top of each cookie and chill for at least 30 minutes, but they can also be left overnight.
- When ready, place 5-6 large cookies on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 13-15 minutes. If your cookies are smaller than 2oz, bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are ready when the edges are golden and the middle looks puffed, pale, and a bit underdone.
- When they’re hot from the oven, sprinkle the tops with a bit of sea salt and transfer to a cooling rack.
Dig in and enjoy!
For more recipes, check out our news page here